Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Editing: Part II

First post in quite a few days. Have been sick just like everybody else, so tonight was the first time I REALLY edited since last week. (Last night I was a bit out of it). Anyway.....

First let me tell you. I'm not sure if there are editing rules. Perhaps, some people like to edit random chapters? Not me. I like to go from Page 1-200/300. I feel it's much easier that way.

Anyway, tonight I did something different. I went over the last twenty or so odd pages, instead of continuing where I left off. Boy, I'm glad I did. It was refreshing. The edits I originally did were so-so, and I tuned them up. If there's one thing I've learned is that rewriting/editing is the most important stage in writing a novel. For example, in the past ten days, I've rewritten the first murder scene roughly ten times, and finally, tonight I think I'm satisfied. Although this (my first) novel is about a serial killer, it's difficult killing off a character (especially when you spend a couple chapters introducing him). It's also a mental thing as well.

One thing I've noticed is that some of my sentences tend to look like they've been written by Yoda himself. Not only is odd, but hilarious when you read it aloud. Maybe, I'll leave just one in there for the final draft. For kixx.

Currently, I'd say I'm roughly 35 % - 40% through the novel itself. I don't want to set a deadline in fears of rushing, but I'm really shooting to be done by the end of May. Sounds feasible enough. As long as I stay healthy, I'm going to tackle some editing this weekend!

Writer/Editors who happen to stumble upon this post: What do you think? Any editing tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment