Monday, March 14, 2011

Some Thoughts on Writing

Wow, I really need to keep on top of this blog! This has gotten out of hand. A couple more weeks it would've been a month. Anyhow, let's get down to business.

K. L. Dillon on writing/rewriting/editing a full-length novel....
  • I've been working on my first novel since late December. I am currently half-way through, give or take. And I have to say writing is like having split-personality disorder. (Not really, but stay with me). It is a challenging process, changing from character to character. Nevertheless, it is very necessary. Besides, I can't have each character sounding the same. The serial killer can't sound like his grieving wife, now can he? But I must admit it's a blast. And  a whole lot of fun! If only I had the means to quit my day job and do this full time.
  • My other point is: Writing is an odd activity. It's the only one (as far as I know) that I enjoy terribly while I'm doing it, but I always dread getting into it. I mean it sounds like I'm afraid, but I'm not. Starting is more than half the battle. Once the words are on the page, it's all downhill (in a good way) from there. Writing is one hell of a drug.
One fun tidbit: I wonder if I'm the only writer that pumps his fist/runs around the room after writing a good sentence, page, and/or chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment